Sunday 15 August 2010

Break the rules!



This is my DT piece for Haunted Design House's 52nd Macabre Monday challenge, and the lovely Barb at Stamp It Crazy has privided some fab prizes, so pop along and see what it's all about ;)
The challenge this week is to use a minimum of 3 stamps on your piece. I've used Wonda the Witch and 3 Big Cats by Stamp It Crazy. (I shrunk the cats, I LOVE being able to re-size digi stamps) and the sentiment is one of a brand new set by me, which should be available in my shop very soon. (ETA - they're in there now, click here to see)
AND there's a little bit of a treasure-hunt thing going on, you have to collect some random factoids, so here's mine: Hubby and I got married to "It's the End of the World As We Know It" by REM.
These are the other challenges that I was aiming for when I made this (and, despite the title, I think I've followed the rules on all of them :P)
Tuesday Throwdown - spotlighting. I haven't used this technique before, but I'm really pleased with the way the cats and the witch's head are "show-cased" :)
Delightful Sketches - animals or insects, and dots and stripes
My Partner in Crafting Crime - teenage, breaking rules seems to fit this perfectly. And, a story about my teenage years *grimaces* Umm, I just can't, sorry, but here's a teenage story that made me smile:
A mother passing by her son's bedroom was astonished to see that his bed was nicely made and everything was picked up. Then she saw an envelope, propped up prominently on the pillow that was addressed to 'Mom' . With the worst premonition, she opened the envelope with trembling hands and read the letter.

Dear Mom,
It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to elope with my new girlfriend because I wanted to avoid a scene with you and Dad.
I have been finding real passion with Stacy and she is so nice. But I knew you would not approve of her because of all her piercing, tattoos, tight motorcycle clothes and the fact that she is much older than I am. But it's not only the passion...... Mom she's pregnant. Stacy said that we will be very happy. She owns a trailer in the woods and has a stack of firewood for the whole winter. We share a dream of having many more children.
Stacy has opened my eyes to the fact that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone. We'll be growing it for ourselves and trading it with the other people that live nearby for cocaine and ecstasy. In the meantime, we will pray that science will find a cure for AIDS so Stacy can get better. She deserves it. Don't worry Mom. I'm 15 and I know how to take care of myself. Someday I'm sure that we will be back to visit so that you can get to know your grandchildren.

Love,
Your son, Jonathan

P. S. Mom, none of the above is true. I'm over at Tommy's house. I just wanted to remind you that there are worse things in life than the report card that's in my center desk drawer.
I love you.

Call me when it's safe to come home.


When I originally read this, it was a letter from a daughter, not a son, but the gist is the same :)

Crafty Catz - Animals
Stamp Something - fairy tales. What's a fairy tale without a wicked witch? :P
Craft Your Days away - favourite things. The favourite's I've included with this piece are: cats, crafting digitally, making ad hoc backing paper, darker stuff with a twist of humour, and combining lots of challenges :D
Drunken Stampers - cats
Whimsical Ink Soroity - polka dots
By the Cute and Girly - animal antics
Smeared and Smudged Rock n Rolla challenge - be inspired by Kerli's Tea Party video. I went for tut's, attitude, and the gorgeous black and red colour scheme featured in parts of the video.
And, two new challenge blogs for,
Unscrpited Sketches - I followed sketch 68
Etsy Inspired - be inspired by an item in Lover Dovers Etsy shop. I immediately loved her little black and red polka dot tutu, just fabulous!

32 comments:

Andrea C said...

Your card is brilliant love the spotlight on them it is a brill idea. I couldn't stop laughing at the little story it was sooo funny I had to shout my hubby to read it and he had a good giggle too x

Claireabelle said...

Lovin the card!! She's a great image.

Funny story too LOL
x

Aunty Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SmilynStef said...

What fun images ... great inspired design.

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Susan
A fabulous card,thankyou for joining us at Delightful Challenges and also for joining us at CraftyCatz for this week's challenge,
Hugs Dianne xx

Alexandra Lundgren said...

This is AWESOME!!!!!! I love the card and LOVE the witch. SIC ROCKS for images!!!

Aunty Sue said...

great use of stamp and brilliant story, thanks for joining craftycatz

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

Loving it - all of it x

Suzanne said...

Brillaint card and a fab story. Thansk for joining in at Crafty Catz this week x

jackiescrafts said...

Great card Susan and a fab story too

Thanks for joining in with our first challenge at CYDA

Jackie x

Betty said...

Great card Susan
Love the sexy witch and the scary cats, well put together too hun.
Betty x x

carol said...

this looks super,so dfferent, i too thougt that the story was so funny..lol when i read it.
Thanks for joining us at crafty catz, x carol

Lindsey said...

Great card, love the black and red and as for the story..i'm still laughing! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz this week x

Rosalien Zwackhalen said...

This is awsome, what a great image, and a fantastic sentiment.:)) Just love it. Thanks for joining DC.

Rosalien

CuddlyBunny said...

Awesome stamps (and funny "letter from a son").

Thanks for dropping in at the Drunken Stampers craft pub!

Liz said...

This is such a great take on the sketch thanks for playing this week with us at Unscripted.

dstandard said...

This is fabulous and the black and red were perfect!

Unknown said...

Cool card. Thanks for playing with us at Delightful Challenges and good luck. I have candy on my blog until August 21st if you would like to enter.
hugs,
Gini

Davi said...

That letter is too funny. Love the card and glad you joined us at TT this week.

Anita said...

Stunning card! Thanks for joining us at Delightful Challenges.

Chris Arlington said...

Susan, your card is wonderful!
Your story really does put thing in perspective doesn't it. In real life if a kid could write like that he would have a great report card!!!

Celeste said...

Great card! I love the images you used and the colors really set it off.

Ayelet {Jenny} said...

Love the card and LOVING this image! Thank you for joining us over at BTC&G and good luck! X

sam21ski said...

Fantastic card xxx

Unknown said...

Fabulous card as always Susan, the images are super love the cats lol' but could hardly stop giggling this story is a cracker chum thanks for sharing goo to have a laugh.
Hugs
Sarah xx

Linda Ledbetter said...

I'll be laughing about that story all day-- thanks for the smiles! Your card is absolutely fabulous-- perfect kitty for our Drunken Stampers challenge!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous card Susan, great colour combo and love the images.

Thank you for joining us for our first challenge over at CYDA.

Hugs

Joanne x

Cheryl said...

Great card! I love the sentiment.

Sarah said...

What a fantastic card Susan, I love the images you've used and the striking colours. Thank you for joining us at Craft Your Days Away for our first challenge x

Anonymous said...

Hiya Susan, love the story and love the tune you got married to lol. This card is superb !! Fab work my friend
Hugs June xxxxx

Virginia L. said...

FAB work, Susan! Love the polka dots in this! VERY cool! Thanks so much for playing with us at Etsy Inspired Challenge! !

Geraldine said...

Great card. Love the strong colours and the 3 shrunken moggies.
Thank you for joining the BTC&G challenge this month.
Geraldine